Monday, August 18, 2014

Write Like The Sun - Shared Post


Photo From Flickr


My friend, J. Grace Pennington, wrote this great post on her blog. As writer, this idea was especially intruiging to me - I want to write like the sun too...

     Men say, practically, Begin where you are and such as you are, without aiming mainly to become of more worth, and with kindness aforethought go about doing good. If I were to preach at all in this strain, I should say rather, Set about being good.

~ Henry David Thoreau, Economy


         Mr. Thoreau and I would disagree on a great many things, but when I read this quote in his essay on Economy, I was struck by it, and by the illustration that follows. He uses the example of the sun, which he says does not rush around peeping in windows to light up each house and trying to do good, but rather makes its way through the sky, and just by virtue of being the sun and rising and setting, does good without really meaning to.

                                                                   Click to continue reading...


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Smiles* Comments, anyone? :) I don't like, bite or anything. . .